Sunday, January 27, 2008

Chapter VII - Land of Enchantment

As the days dwindled from 3 weeks to 2 then one week before the trip to New Mexico, I fought to contain my enthusiasm and overwhelming excitement of taking this trip. I had gotten so use to dealing with one problem after another that the idea of having a good time had become a foreign concept.
I had been watching my spending and holding on so tightly trying to stay afloat for months, that I had forgotten what it was to just have fun and to embrace each day with a sense of mischievous adventure. I questioned everything, held myself in check every time I went shopping, held back buying clothes or eating out. Everything had become too expense or too frivolous. I had convinced myself that if I let loose for even a day, everything would fall apart. And worse, if I gave any hint to anyone what I was really feeling I would come off looking like I wanted and needed sympathy. I needed to stay strong and to stay in control. I needed to show my friends and my family that I was a rock, even if I felt like a bowl of unsettled Jello. If I kept this up, I was headed for a nervous breakdown!

In psychiatry a doctour might view this as a symptom of a troubled paranoid individual and begin some deep mental relaxation techniques to help cleanse and clear the mind. I have a better remedy. It’s called…CHOCOLATE! Since it was the weekend, I needed to go food shopping anyway and I needed to get a few items for the trip, so what the heck, get the goods and get some treats while I’m at it.
By now I knew every corner, every aisle and every feature in the supermarket. First items, Devil Dogs and milk, everything else was a piece of cake, (sorry, pun intended)! Another fun thing to do when you’re getting ready for a trip is going through the sundries aisle. Somehow the buying of small travel size bottles of mouthwash, toothpaste, deodorant and other toiletries is a cheerful experience. What can I say it’s the little things that get me smiling (another pun intended)! With packages in hand I headed for the nearest discount store. It occurred to me that though I would be gone for five days, (Thursday through Monday), I didn’t want to take a suitcase that I would have to lug through the airport and I didn’t own one of those new fangled travel suitcases on wheels. It had been nearly ten years since I had been anywhere and I was a little behind the times. What I needed was a small travel case I wouldn’t have to check at the airport but could handle what I wanted to take. In a Big Lots, I found a red overnight bag for just $10.00. It had a handle and everything! Wow, things have sure changed! While driving home I just couldn’t wait so I opened the pack of Devil Dogs and ate one while driving. Very un-lady like but fun!
Two days before leaving, I began to pack. I decided to wear jeans on the flight and pack a second dressier pair. I also packed a comfortable skirt and three extra tops including a dress shirt. I’d wear sneakers and pack a pair of flat shoes. With underwear and the toiletries I was all set. Everything fit neatly and it wasn’t even that heavy.
There were some other things I needed to take with me including a folder of photographs I had been keeping for a long time. They were family photos of my Grandparents, Uncle Ron’s parents and some of my children whom he hadn’t seen since they were kids and the grandkids Chris and Stephanie. I thought he might appreciate a trip down memory lane and would no doubt start conversations of times past.
I printed out my ticket, made sure I had Photo ID and fifty dollars in cash for minor expenses that might occur between airports including the hour and a half lay over scheduled. Being me, I had printed a check list two days in advance, (there goes that OCB!) and the night before I set everything out ready to go.
I had contacted Jim a week ahead of time to let him know I would be out of town for a while. I didn’t say where I was going, none of his business anyway, though I was sure he’d get it out of the kids. He needed to know because I expected him to take the dogs to be with him for the time I was gone. I was sure he wouldn’t mind since he planned to keep them after the divorce. This would give them time to bond with the Hussy! (Oh my goodness, did I say that?!!) Jamie was taking me to the airport and in exchange he would have my SUV for the five days I was away then pick me up when I returned.
Everything done, I now was calm and excited. This was going to be fun. I was really beginning to believe it now. Chocolate…the happiness factor!

The first part of the flight to Dallas was going well and on schedule. Before I boarded I texted a message to Rhonda of my departure. I also texted a message to my sister whom I had also told I would be going. In Dallas I thought I would have a little time to get something to eat, but the transfer to the second plane which was on the other far side of the airport took me almost half an hour. Holy Pickle Juice that airport was big! Lines in the food court were all long and I hesitated to try to get something because I wanted to make sure I was at the boarding gate in plenty of time. In the end I did manage to get something, rationalizing that between arriving in Albuquerque and getting to the house I’d be starving and the few nuts and soda served on the flight would hardly satisfy my stomach. Boy do I miss those in-flight meals! Again I texted a message to Rhonda to let her know I was still on schedule and would be arriving at approximately 8:30pm Mountain time. She texted back that her flight was on time so far and she would probably be about 20 minutes behind me. This was good news, things were going as planned.
During the trip between Dallas and Albuquerque I slept. Planes do that to me. I rarely stay awake when flying. Something about the motion, it’s so relaxing. I did wake up as we made our decent. It was dark, and the sky was clear. Having a window seat, I was treated to a magnificent sight. Below me was a vision of a billion golden lights surrounded by some dark mass I could not see. Later I would realize that the city sat in a valley framed by mountains and a rising mesa of desert sand to the west. As we continued to descend, I noticed some of the buildings aglow in reds, greens and blues clustered in the center of what I suspected was the downtown area of the city. As the wheels touched terra firma I was ready for the adventure that lay ahead. Though I had yet to take my first step outside the airport I could feel the electricity and exhilaration of visiting a new place.

New Mexico became the 47th State in 1912, a month later Arizona became the 48th State thus completing the 48 contiguous States. It is called the Land of Enchantment boosting long stretches of desert including White Sands and mountain peaks called the Sandia which at its highest reaches over 10,000 feet. Though the capital city is Santa Fe, the largest and most populated city is Albuquerque. With a population of over 650,000 it is the 33rd largest city in the U.S. Albuquerque is also known as the “City of Illumination” and from my first view of it from the air, I could understand why.
Walking through the gate into the terminal I was immediately struck by the influence of Spanish and Native American artwork and architecture and everywhere was a feeling of truly being in the Southwest. The airport was smaller than any I had been to before but it was clean, cheerful and very modern. Called the International Sunport, the name seemed oddly confusing since it really didn’t have any International flights, not even direct flights to Mexico just to the south. I guess they were being optimistic when they planned it.
Having arrived first, I headed down the escalators toward the baggage area, the prearranged place Rhonda and I planned to meet. As I went downward, my cell phone began to ring. The tone got me a few looks of smiles and laughter from the people surrounding me for my ring tone were the five notes made popular by the movie “Close Encounters”. Hey it’s me, what can I say. Rhonda was calling to say they had just landed. This was great. We had both arrived virtually together. She had checked her luggage so I decided to wait for her at her airline baggage area. As I was waiting a small attractive, older woman with short black hair approached me and asked if I was Sigrid. Smiling with that goofy grin I often have when I’m totally out of my element, I introduced myself to Barbara, Uncle Ron’s wife. She told me Uncle Ron was driving around the airport in circles avoiding the extra expense of parking. This was great. He still didn’t know that I was accompanying Rhonda on this trip so the surprise would be even better when I got into the car. I told her Rhonda was right behind me and we stood together waiting for her to come down the escalator. It only took about 15 minutes for her to catch up to use and in the mean time I thanked Aunt Barbara for her hospitality and for keeping the trip a secret. She was just as excited as we were and looking forward to our visit.
Upon Rhonda’s arrival and getting her luggage, we talked about what to do next. My cousin was devious if not brilliant. We decided to see just how long it would take Uncle Ron to recognize me when he pulled up to the landing zone. With luck and the darkened area he would not notice who I was. Rhonda would just say that I was a friend she met on the plane and if her father would offer me a ride to my destination.
As we waited outside, I tried to keep my face in the shadows and took on the stance of a weary traveler. When he pulled up, he placed the car in park and got out to greet his daughter with hugs and that familiar laugh he was so known for. Opening the trunk he seemed to completely ignore me until Rhonda took him aside and gave him the storyline we had concocted. I shyly said hello, all the while keeping my head down and appearing embarrassed. Though courteous, it was obvious he wasn’t too keen at the idea of having to make an extra trip for a stranger. But he hid it well and we all hustled into the car. I held onto my overnight bag with me in the car placing it on my lap. This gave me a little more cover in case he should look in the rear view mirror and recognize me.
It took less than 10 minutes to reach his home, a townhouse neatly set along a well manicured street and surrounded by tall buildings.
He and Barbara lived close within the city itself. Because it was dark with few street lamp posts, which I found interesting, my view was limited, but it seemed a quiet a peaceful neighborhood. As we got out of the car I hung back while Uncle Ron got Rhonda’s things out of the trunk. As he walked back to the driver’s side door to help me with my bag, he asked me where I would like to dropped off to. For the first time I looked him straight in the eyes and spoke up clearly. “Oh I don’t know Uncle Ron, I was hoping I could stay here with you!”
I don’t know if it was my voice or his being able to see me more clearly, but the sudden recognition was obvious. He dropped my suitcase along with his jaw and gave a laugh as he reached out his arms to give me a bear hug.

No comments: